Saturday, August 3, 2013

Are you Aussie?

Good afternoon, my snoozy boy.

It was August 1 two days ago, which is the Swiss National Day. And it's gotten me thinking about your national identity. I see you as Australian, because I'm Australian. Your daddy is Australian. And that's how genetics works, right? Well, so says the Australian government, who have issued you your passport, but to be honest, you're one of the most Swiss people I know. You were born here, and this is where you call home. You're already learning a little Swiss German, like saying "ciao ciao" and "adieu" as well as "bye bye", and I realise how much German I speak to you now when we are out and about. At home, it's all English, but there's something that makes me subconsciously switch languages when we are around other people. It won't be long before you are cringing at all my grammatical errors, I'm sure. I've read about raising bilingual kids, and everything says that I shouldn't be speaking German to you... So we'll see how damaged you turn out :)

I'm just really curious, little one, as to which country you will associate yourself with. You won't get a Swiss passport until you are eleven, but will that matter to you? Maybe we will all become Swiss at the same time :)

I love you, my kleine bäbeli, my herzige bueb.

No comments:

Post a Comment