Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Only in the Major Key

Good morning, little bean.

You've always been a very sensitive little sausage, particularly when it comes to noise... but, lately, there's something funny going on.

All music in our house now has to be in a major key. Excuse the quality of the photos, but this is what happens when we surround you with some music in a minor key:

Phase one: The lower lip.

Phase 2: Lips part, brow furrows, whimpering begins

The final phase: Big tears, some serious emotion

I'm not talking about Barber's Adagio for Strings, or anything like that. I'm talking about the last few bars of Old Macdonald where it slows down, switches momentarily to minor, then back into major for the last cackle of all the animals. I tried to watch a quick youtube clip about netball (not so emotional, you'd think) yesterday while you were busy playing with your cars. I couldn't get more than five seconds into it before you turned your little head towards me, toddled over with phase one and two on your face, and then buried your head into my lap in a full stage three cry.

I have managed to keep you relatively television-free for your life. There has been the occasional 5pm kiddy show when you are... especially... active :) And when perhaps I have only slept three hours or less... And there was a phase where we were watching In the Night Garden before bed. But now? Nothing is safe! It can be something as simple as watching Thomas the Tank Engine, and then the music changes when they all go to bed and the moon rises. Disaster! Or when Postman Pat's parcel just might not get there on time? Oh the horror!

Oh my little one, I can't help but laugh. I know that the emotion you feel is real, and this really is quite magical to me that I have created a little boy that reacts so explicitly to music. You poor thing. Sometimes I think it must be really hard to be you! But I hope that the cuddles I give you make it all better. We obviously just have to have more jam sessions :)


I love you, little one.
Love, Mummy.

Edit: A friend suggested I put my little one to the test by playing some fast minor music, such as Bach's Double Violing Concerto in D Minor. Still not so happy, but not a disaster. And then I put him to the ultimate test and actually played Barber's Adagio for strings... Oh the horror! My poor bean! 
Putting you to the test by listening to Bach - some fast minor music. 

The control: Barber's Adagio for Strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment