Thursday, August 8, 2013

Portrait Series: 2/52 - Your first painting!

Dear Beanie,

We've had our first finger-painting success! Your Daddy and I have thrown you and paints together before, but you have never been interested. We've managed to get you to paint a few things (like my mother's day card), but it has never been something that you have wanted to do. This time, though, was a different story. It was fascinating to watch the cogs of your mind turn as you discovered the link between your fingers and the pain on the paper. You began very tentatively. I put some paint on a plate, you began to gently touch it and swirl it around, and then I showed you how you can now put your fingers to the paper and draw lines and swirls. First, you touched the paper gently, one finger at a time, very slowly. And then, as you seemed to understand the immensity of your power, you smooshed that paint everywhere! All across the paper, the table, your body, your hair, and, eventually, me!

A portrait of my son, once a week, every week.
Your first painting! 


It wasn't a full-morning activity, mind you. It lasted about five minutes before you got enough paint in your hair to call it quits. And then, of course, the clean-up-the-bean process lasted about ten times as long as the activity :) But now we have your first painting proudly displayed on the fridge. The first of many!

I love you, my little Artiste!

Love, Mummy.


P.S. Thanks again to this mum for the portrait series idea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment