Thursday, August 15, 2013

Portrait Series: 3/52 - The thinker

Dear Beanie,

A portrait of my son, once a week, every week.
The thinker.
This has to be one of my favourite photos of you. It really captures a side of you that not many other people get to see -- the quiet, contemplative you. I feel as if I am looking at you when you are seventy years old. It's as if you can see all my secrets, as if you know me better than anyone could ever know me.

While you are very good at being able to play independently, such as finding screws and buttons on every piece of furniture we own and pondering over (perhaps?) whether it will play music if you press it or turn it or pull it, you haven't always been very good at 'taking a moment' and relaxing. You have only very recently started to wind down when you are tired, rather than wind up, often resulting in laps being run around either a mummy or the kitchen. So I feel very lucky to have captured this moment. 

It's one of your favourite things at the moment to run to the couch and cling onto the edge, bopping up and down while looking at me with your big blue eyes, begging for a leg up. And once you're up? You fling yourself this way and that, throwing your little body onto the cushions while making the same sound effects that I used to make when you were first learning to stand and would then topple over. Now you topple purposefully, and I can't help but laugh when you imitate my noises. 

Occasionally, like in this photo, you just prop yourself in a corner and watch me for a moment with a little reflective smile. You are magical!

As always, thanks to this mum for the portrait series idea.

I love you, Bubbaloo!
Love, Mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment