Friday, November 15, 2013

Portrait Series: Stealing a snuggle

Dear Beanie,

I heard something recently about the vast number of changes that come about once a child stops breast or bottle feeding. Not only are there the obvious changes in food consumption, but there is a significant drop in snuggle time and intimacy. This is one thing that I have always loved about feeding you a bottle, no matter what time of day or night -- it is where we snuggle. I have never encouraged you to hold it yourself (though I didn't actively yank it out of your hands, or anything!), because then I knew my time would be over.

It turns out that isn't true. Now you are very capable of holding your bottle, but you still sometimes need me to do it for you. I can't snuggle you the way I would really love to because of my stupid stupid shoulder, so our makeshift snuggles are where the side of the couch is my other arm.

A portrait of my son (with me, this week!), once a week, every week.
Stealing a Snuggle (with 6.30am bed hair)
I love these moments, although they only last around one minute now, because you are one hell of an active little boy. You rarely stop bouncing around all over the place, running laps around the kitchen island, pulling your wooden caterpillar around the house, throwing and kicking your big foam ball, and zooming your cars under chairs. Moments like these... I breathe them in deeply. I know they are nearly over.

I hope you'll still give me big big hugs even when you are forty.

I love you, Bean.

Love Mummy.

P.S. You said 'animal' and 'calculator' today! Wowsers, my big boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment