Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nature versus Nurture: Being a BOY!

Hello my gorgeous boy!

I've been thinking a lot lately about parenthood, and about how I always thought that nurture had more of an impact that it seems to. Gender neutrality has been important to me from the moment that I found out you were inside my belly, growing away. I didn't want to ever make you feel pressured into being something that you didn't feel you naturally were... if you want to spend your days wearing princess costumes, going to dance class, colouring in using only the pinks and purples, putting clips in your hair, then go for it. I wasn't going to actively encourage this, either, but just leave everything accessible to you to choose what you want.

Mummy, when will I be old enough to do that?
When you were very very very little, I got into a conversation with a friend about how I have no great desires for you to become a doctor or an engineer or an architect; in fact, I joked, I'd love it if you became a hairdresser. To me, this is a kind of profession that you would choose to make yourself happy, doing something that you love. That is what I care most about. Plus you'd save me a packet on hairdressing costs ;) Maybe you'll become a construction worker though... that's probably your dream job right now!
You at 9 weeks with your big blue eyes. 

I often dressed you in baby blues, little one, which surprised me, until I realised that even if you were a girl, I would still dress you in blues. You looked so cute in that colour with your big blue eyes! And although you had cute wooden cars as toys, you also had dolls. But you know what? You couldn't care less about your doll. From the moment you wake up, for the last couple of days, you say, 'Cars! Cars! Cars! Cars!' or 'Digger! Digger! Digger! Digger!' and you are desperate to go and play with your boy toys. You like building things, knocking them down, watching construction, playing with and watching cars, trucks, tractors, buses and trains, kicking and throwing balls and playing dress-ups in your daddy's clothes and shoes. 
DIGGER!!
You are a little boy, there's no doubt about it. I hope that I will never hear the words, 'Boys will be boys' come out of my mouth though, as some kind of an excuse for something that you do. But I doubt it will. Along with being interested in all those typically boyish things, you remain one of the most gentle and sensitive little people that I've ever met. You still go all smiley and squeaky whenever you see a little baby, and want to very very gently tough its hand, but only with permission. You still get upset whenever another child is upset. You still seem to intently want to make other children happy, which makes me so so proud to be your mummy. Writing these things out now, it makes me realise that you are like your daddy. He is also a very gentle and caring man. Wow, I'm a lucky lady to have you both in my life! 

Alright, it's corny. But we love you! 

I love you, my little boy! I couldn't love you more! 

Love Mummy. 

1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid I also wasn't interested in dolls, but in cars, balls and all of that "boy" stuff – and my brother, on the other hand, had a doll. So yay to Mums like mine and you(rs) who don't put a label on us and our toys :)

    ReplyDelete