Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Conquering the Fireworks

Happy New Year, little Beanie!

I am so proud of you today. We had a wonderful last day of 2013 with our friends. You played your little socks off, then went down for an epic three hour midday nap in their bed. What a magic sleeper! I declare 2014 to be the year of sleep! And fun. :)

Fun with friends and kinetic sand!
All through the day, I could feel a little bubble of anxiety in my tummy about the night ahead. Here in Switzerland, anybody can go and buy fireworks and set them off anywhere, and it always seems that all of Switzerland chooses to set off the biggest ones right underneath your window. Five months ago was your last fireworks experience, and it was not a good one. You were absolutely scared to death, and no cuddling, explaining, watching or singing could fix it.

This time we had a plan. We spent about twenty minutes before bedtime watching fireworks on the television (thanks youtube!), gradually turning up the volume and making the big bangs the most fun. By the time we finished watching and explaining, you were laughing and saying, "Wow, fireworks, wow!". Okay, so there was a small moment in the middle where you started crying, but we dealt with it and moved on.

The fireworks are everywhere!
At bedtime, while I put you in your pyjamas and we quietly talked about everything we did that day (while, as usual, you played with my nose, my ears, my eyelashes and my chin, starting to get sleepy), we talked again about the fireworks and how it was the last night of the year, and that means it is a special night. I told you that if you hear a big bang, you don't have to be scared, it's just those magical lights in the sky. If you do become frightened, you can call for me or daddy to come to you and we can have a cuddle and watch the lights, but there is no need to be scared.

On went the white noise. And off went the craziest fireworks ever!

And you know what? You woke up once at 12.30 for your half, very diluted bottle, and never once flinched at the big bangs and flashing lights around. You rolled over and went back to sleep with no problem. You slept until 7.30am! YOWSERS I am proud of you! And I'm proud of your daddy and I for finding a way to help you understand and get through it.

May 2014 be a year of more fun, more adventure, more relaxation and more love (is that even possible?).

I love you,
Love Mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment