Monday, January 6, 2014

Seizures, or a Musical Prodigy?

Hi Bubbaloo.

I slept on the couch again last night because I'm worried about you, and that is the closest I can get to your room. We managed to get a doctor's appointment this morning, and you were your usual superstar self in the Doctor's presence, being so well behaved and in some kind of state of awe at the man's power... it's quite funny to watch you like this, actually, wide eyed, still and entirely accommodating. I wish I had taken a photo of you there, in your nappy, standing at the doctor's desk with your hand outstretched towards his computer. Then you said, "No. Doctor's poopah" and backed away. Every day you amaze me, little bean!

But here is a photo of you right this minute.
Asleep with your trillion dummies around you. 
We showed him the video of your wibbly wobbly leg and he seemed a bit worried too, saying that he actually has no idea what it is and that it certainly is strange. He checked your reflexes, poked around your tummy, checked your ears and your throat. He asked if you have ever lost consciousness, and I said no, but told him about your strange episode last night where you drifted off into your own little world while listening to music. Fifteen minutes of sitting still and apparent concentration is very odd for a toddler, you see, unless you really are a musical prodigy and were analysing it all. In fact, you have been quite fanatical about music in the past week, so it wouldn't surprise me if you were just sitting there concentrating. You have started to say, "Music ON" and then tell me what you want to hear. Either 'Happy Talk', 'Nu-kucka' (The Nutcracker), 'Oo Ah' (Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes) or 'kin kanananana' (Kings of Convenience). You will proceed to emphatically announce "NO" when I get it wrong, and we work through albums and songs until you get the one you were after. Then, you will either get up and dance dance dance, or you will sit with a smile on your face and just listen. So potentially you were just tired last night, and sat still for fifteen minutes listening. Craziness.

We were given two options: either wait a week and see if this business with your leg goes away on its own, or go to see a neurologist. We would tell him everything, show him the video, and see if he wants to give you an EEG to watch your brain waves and check for seizures. I reminded the doctor about the very strange twitches and quivers you had as a newborn, that evil fill-in doctor just put down to extreme hunger (sigh... breastfeeding... sigh...). I have never felt entirely comfortable with that explanation, but these twitches went away after you began to eat more... so I didn't follow through with second opinions and the like. I'm now kicking myself for that. After I told your doctor this today, he gave us the referral to the neurologist straight away. That makes me happy. I just want to know that either everything is fine, or this is what is wrong and this is how we can fix it. I'm not a 'wait and see' kind of person.

Meanwhile, you had a great sleep last night, while I tossed and turned on the couch! You woke up at 10.30 for a little milk, then slept RIGHT THROUGH until 6.30! Or maybe you were unconscious all the time... Ha. Look at me, finding the humour.

I love you, my happy happy little monkey.

Love Mummy.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully it is nothing serious, it sounds worrying indeed. You are an awesome mum!

    ReplyDelete