Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Flour Fight!

Dear Beanie,

When I was fifteen years old, I remember going to my friend's house and having an enormous flour fight. I have no idea how it came about... it certainly wasn't our intention, but it happened. I had flour everywhere! I still remember the problems that came about when I thought it would be a good idea to wash it all out of my ear... did you know that when you mix flour and water, it makes dough? Not a good idea when it's in your ear, my love.

That brings me to you. Actually, in two ways, one of which was unexpected until just now... but that little story reminded me that a few days ago you thought it would be a good idea to shove a bunch of very sticky vegetable risotto into your ear. Please don't do that again, my love. It wasn't pretty.

But. Back to the flour.

You didn't say it had to stay on the table, Mummy. 
I've been thinking a bit about what sort of things I can do to keep you entertained inside a little when the weather turns grey and sleety. A friend gave me a link to an amazing list of toddler friendly activities, and I decided to give one of them a try: Plopping you down at your table with a mound of flour and letting you loose.

WOW! What fun! Let's just say that you are lucky that I don't have OCD, because it was not a very tidy activity, but I don't think I have ever seen you entertained by the one thing for such a long time! If only we could bring bags of flour onto aeroplanes...


The great surprise for me was your joy in helping to clean up. In fact, your favourite song at the moment is the 'put away' song, so perhaps you will end up fighting all the odds and being a very tidy person after all.
I should give you this toy more often!

I love watching you discover, little one. I love it when you expose me to things that I had never seen the fun in before.

I love you!

Love, Mummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment