Thursday, October 10, 2013

Portrait Series: Declaration of Independence

Dear Beanie,

You are growing up so quickly now, my love! My physiotherapist today asked me how much I am having to hold you now, and I realised it isn't so much anymore. You are becoming more and more independent, and I can feel now that I am going to be one of those sappy nostalgic parents that reminds you of times gone by.

A portrait of my son, once a week, every week.
The Declaration of Independence:
Desperate to get out the door and get walking!  

Becoming more independent is tough. You are having to learn how to tell me what you want when you aren't yet capable of voicing it. During the past week you've discovered that the most efficient way of doing this is with the dreaded tantrum. I am having to learn how to navigate these tantrums by avoiding the things that I know will trigger them (like taking a different walking route that avoids the buttons for the lift, by giving you choices, by ensuring you are well fed and not tired) and figuring out what to do once they reach full force.
Walking! All the cool kids are
doing it, and it's all you want to do! 

Your new trick is to sit down. When there is something you want and aren't getting immediately, you plop yourself on the ground with such force! On Tuesday, I saved you from injury by catching your head as you flung it backwards full power towards the asphalt footpath. You wanted to run onto the road and in front of the bus, you see. And that's just not allowed.

We each have to learn how to deal with your newfound desire for independence, my gorgeous boy. And, as much as I love you, my number one rule at the moment is that a tantrum will never ever ever ever ever get you what you want. I can't wait until you can make real sentences and I can teach you words to explain your emotions, encourage you to speak about what it is that is making you angry/frustrated/bored. But in the meantime... we are just navigating those waters!

(Now I know it's cheating, but can I just slip in another photo of you? You are just so so so super cute that I can't not! You've started to really get into drawing, and you always have such a wonderful look of contentment on your face when you do. So this is a sneaky two-portrait week.)
My little blue-eyed boy, oh how I love you! 

I love you, little one. Goodness I do!

Love, Mummy.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Joh. I sucked in breath when you said about catching him before he smashed his head on the footpath. I did that, in a slightly different way, when I was five, and I can still remember the pain.

    Hope all is well.

    Love Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan in Canada! Yikes, yeah, I sure had to catch my breath at that moment too... and I'm sure there will be one time where it will happen and I can't prevent it, and he'll learn that it's NOT really such a cool thing to do... Hopefully it's not on solid concrete? Eek!
      Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete